jeudi 16 juillet 2009

Twitter Leak Illustrates Google Chrome OS Security Hazards

Recently leaked Twitter documents that were stored on Google Apps highlight a deeper issue - namely, when everything you do is stored online, how will you protect your personal data? As Google revs up its new Chrome OS, phishing and hacker attempts will be exacerbated. How, exactly, will you deal with your data security in this brave new world of data portability?

This week, Twitter had sensitive documents leaked in a roundabout method that involved a Twitter employee being phished and their Google password used to access sensitive data stored online in Google Apps. TechCrunch, the final recipient of these documents, vigorously defended their position on republishing the found Twitter documents citing leaks (in whatever form) have always existed and served as an information source. While true in a journalistic sense, it opens the door to a greater question of data security in a world where all your information is stored online in some fashion. Protecting your personal information on the Internet has been an ongoing struggle. Every time you interact, whether it’s a post to a blog, comment in a forum or just “tweet,” you are growing the hacker target on your back. Take this example:

I am on Twitter and micro-blog regularly to my account. From just my Twitter account, you can get my full name and location. Now, within a few clicks you can probably trace down my e-mail address from some previous post to a forum, newsgroup or even comments on an article in certain instances. At that point, even a semi-dense hacker has enough information to launch a targeted phishing attempt against me. Granted, I triple check any links I get in e-mail to ensure it takes me where I am supposedly going, but I am someone who works in the trenches of the online industry and have been trained from DNA up to be careful of any kind of attacks.
Read More

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire